Last week here in California (along with more controversial things) we passed a law meaning we now pay for our grocery bags. Personally I was really happy about this one, I’m all for the incentive to reduce the waste we create but whether you like it, or you don’t, or even if you live somewhere else… it’s time to invest in some reusable grocery bag options! …and save yourself a small fortune.
Did you know the average US family brings home (wait for it, I was shocked) 1500 plastic bags a year? That’s 28 a week. So let’s do the maths, if you pay 10c for each bag, that’s $150 you get to save just in one year by buying your own. So, I suggest you invest now before you spend a single one of your dimes, or before you drop a bottle trying to juggle out of the store with a baby, full arms, and no bag.
I’ve gathered a list of my favorites, from organic cotton, to mesh, to uber organized with wine holder included. Buy one, buy ten, keep them everywhere. Invest now, save yourself money to spend on more important things, and do the environment a favour while you’re at it!
(And a tip: Leave a note on your dashboard to ask yourself if you have them before leaving the house!)
1. * My Personal favourite* Certified Organic Cotton Grocery Bags with Bottle Sleeves x3
- These are my top choice, I’m always going to go for the simple organic cotton version of anything, bags included – they’re eco friendly through and through, you can toss them in the wash easily, the fold up small, and they’re really cost effective!
2. The heavy duty option with an insulated option.
- A really heavy duty option, fold flat to store then clip to the side of your grocery cart. Each one holds up to 40lbs so you can pack it full!
- If you need to walk/drive with your shopping for a while, grab the insulated option, or just keep one on hand for the frozen things!
3. For the holiday grocery haul! A 3 piece large collapsible shopping box set
- We love that these ones stand up by themselves – making them really easy to pack, and to keep things from squashing.
4. Eco-friendly reusable bag (or a pack of 10!)
- Great simple option, 3 pack, amazing value for money, multiple colors!
- Reusable and then themselves recyclable for an even better option.
- THESE are also a great doubly eco friendly option, the same look but made from recycled bottles too!
5. The Uber Organized Option! 10 large reusable grocery shopping bags in an organizer.
- Seriously. If you want one purchase that will keep you organised too, try this guy!
- 6 sturdy, foldable grocery bags with handles, 2 mesh produce bags, 1 insulated freezer bag with zipper enclosure and a fashionable 6 bottle wine tote
6. An added extra: Simple Ecology Organic cotton muslin produce bag
- Ok so not technically a grocery bag but these are the next logical step and I love mine!
- set of 6 (2 each of large, medium and small.)
- These go everywhere with me! If you just go for a few small things, or to use in place of plastic in the bulk section, or to wrap meat. Add these to your collection!
7. The Backpack Option from Chico Bags
- If you’re on your bike, navigating a baby, or a dog, or just want to take extra care of your back…. This is a winning option!
- It folds up small but then opens out to carry all your shopping, on your back! (Also check out this one from Betabrand that definitely adds some cool factor to the reusable bag game.)
8. Organic Cotton Net bag:
- Folds up so small, and really expandable.
- We like that it works well with varying, and weirdly shaped loads.
- And we love it being organic cotton, course.
9. Best for on the go, city shopping: Set of 4 ‘Chico Bags’
- These are the ones that fold up into a neat little pouch.
- Keep them in your purse, car, bike, and you’re ready to go!
- Extra lightweight.
10. The ultimate ‘green’ and frugal option is always to use the one you already have! So many of us have a jute bag lying around the house from something, or a reusable bag – or if not, buy one second hand!